Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Haitian Representation

Here's what I've been up to, in terms of non-book stuff:

• The usual weekly Washington Post and bi-weekly Time Out Chicago game reviews keep on rolling along.


A guest post on Level Up, N'Gai Croal's video game blog at Newsweek, just went up today. Aside from being a friend, N'Gai's one of the most well-regarded journalists working in the video game space right now and Level Up may be THE place to go for high-level critique (at least in the mainstream media) so it's very cool of him to let me play in his "house", as it were. My admittedly heady entry talks about how a solo game experience changes when it's shared, using my examples of playing Portal (below) and Assassins' Creed with a friend as a launching pad.



Crispy Gamer, a new video game website powered by a murderer's row of freelancers including yours truly, launched about a month ago. I'm producing and moderating their podcast, Blazing Prattles, and writing Thought/Process, a monthly column of critique for the site, too. You should be able to click on my name and get a page with all my contributions so far. I'm pretty proud of the stuff I'm doing for CG so please check it out. While I was at GDC, my Crispy Gamer colleagues and I did an interview with iconic game developer Warren Spector. I kinda took the bull by the horns here and commandeered the time we had with Warren, but I feel like the resulting podcast came out great.

• Because no one demanded it, Scott Jones and I did another video game segment on the local CW affiliate (Channel 11). We talk about recent releases that are fun to play during Spring Break. You can see it here, once you scroll down a bit.

My piece on Mat Johnson ran a few weeks ago in Time Out New York. This one was a weird tightrope to walk, since it had to talk about both Mat and his new graphic novel Incognegro. I liked Mat's writing way before I ever met him, but I didn't want the article to come off like one friend writing about another. Nevertheless, it was a fun piece to write.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Evan,

I've been reading your stuff ever since I saw you on Crispygamer. Congratulations on getting the Level Up article! I had a few questions regarding the minority voice in video game journalism/nerd culture I wanted to ask you, but how does one contact you online? I can't find your email address anywhere!

Unknown said...

fix your links, dude!

Evan Narcisse said...

@dwhite: Fixed. Thanks for the heads-up.
@lecester: I appreciate the notice. You can e-mail me at free.evan@gmail.com