Monday, March 17, 2008

Haitian Moderation



Last Saturday, I moderated a panel at Splat!, a graphic novel symposium. It was a last-minute set-up, with the e-mail asking me to participate coming on the preceding Wednesday. I had little prep time and the 9:00 am start time was hella early for me–especially considering it was on the weekend–but I think it went pretty well. (It's the first one on the linked page; things happened so quickly they didn't have time to update the info with my name and bio.) Of special note was that there were three black men on the panel of nerd experts, the first time any such thing has ever happened to me.

Here's a snippet from a blog post on Fleen:

In terms of presentation, the Who Reads Graphic Novels? and Webcomics: A Primer seemed to run most smoothly; this was probably a function of the panelists present and the moderators — wrangling smart, opinionated people is an art form, and Evan Narcisse and Colleen Venable just seemed to do the best job of it (it doesn’t hurt that Narcisse has both a conversational style and voice very similar to that of Elvis Mitchell).



NPR, here I come!

No comments: